ALFA Managing Summer Heat online training program, delivered in September 2021, is now available to feedlots and feedlot staff through the Feedlot TECH training hub.
ALFA has released several useful online training videos developed with industry experts and hosted a live training session with experts and lot feeders sharing their knowledge and real life experiences.
The training materials focus on preparing feedlots for excessive summer heat conditions that can have major impacts on cattle health, welfare and productivity. Access to these resources and session are available to NFAS accredited feedlots and their staff.
All staff involved in making decisions around, or the monitoring of, heat load at the feedlot will benefit from completing this online training program.
- Dr Tony Batterham, Feedlot Veterinarian at Quirindi Feedlot Services
- Lot Feeder Case Study (yet to be announced)
- Christine Killop, Katestone
- Jeff House, ALFA/MLA Technical Services Officer
- Verity Price, ALFA Policy Manager
TRAINING VIDEO TOPICS
Those registered will receive access to eight online training videos (view time 80mins total) that can be viewed at a time convenient to the student, covering the following topics:
- HLI/AHLU demo & how to undertake a Risk Assessment
- Shade Structures
- Pre-Summer Preparation
- Triggers & Actions
- Summer Review
- Weather Stations & CHLT demo
- Feedlot Case Study
LIVE TRAINING SESSION TOPICS
- Progress to date, current industry status, ALFA Shade Policy & Hub
- NFAS Requirements and what they mean
- Heatload Simulation Exercise
- Panel Session and Q&A
This workshop will enable lot feeders to:
- Be able to formulate their own Heat Management Plan
- Be able to conduct a risk assessment using the Cattle Heat Load Toolbox
- Be familiar with the concepts relevant to heat management
- Be able to develop their own daily monitoring program with defined triggers and status levels
- Be able to develop their own actions to effectively manage heat and heat load events in feedlot cattle
- Be competent in the use of the Cattle Heat Load Toolbox
- Understand the basic equipment requirements to manage heat effectively
- Understand where to go to for help and further information
Traning videos and recordings of the live training sessions are currently available through the Feedlot TECH training hub.
Free, until June 2023.
If you need assistance or would like to contact ALFA regarding this training, please email email@example.com or call (02) 9290 3700.