Registrations are now open for the ALFA Managing Summer Heat online training program to be delivered via a mix of online training videos and an online live zoom session in September 2021.
ALFA will release several useful online training videos developed with industry experts and host a live training session with experts and lot feeders sharing their knowledge and real life experiences.
The training materials focus on preparing feedlots for excessive summer heat conditions that can have major impacts on cattle health, welfare and productivity. Access to these resources and session will be made available to those registered.
All staff involved in making decisions around, or the monitoring of, heat load at the feedlot will benefit from completing this online training program.
- Dr Tony Batterham, Feedlot Veterinarian at Quirindi Feedlot Services
- Lot Feeder Case Study (yet to be announced)
- Christine Killop, Katestone
- Jeff House, ALFA/MLA Technical Services Officer
- Verity Price, ALFA Policy Manager
TRAINING VIDEO TOPICS
Those registered will receive access to eight online training videos (view time 80mins total) that can be viewed at a time convenient to the student, covering the following topics:
- HLI/AHLU demo & how to undertake a Risk Assessment
- Shade Structures
- Pre-Summer Preparation
- Triggers & Actions
- Summer Review
- Weather Stations & CHLT demo
- Feedlot Case Study
LIVE TRAINING SESSION TOPICS
- Progress to date, current industry status, ALFA Shade Policy & Hub
- NFAS Requirements and what they mean
- Heatload Simulation Exercise
- Panel Session and Q&A
This workshop will enable lot feeders to:
- Be able to formulate their own Heat Management Plan
- Be able to conduct a risk assessment using the Cattle Heat Load Toolbox
- Be familiar with the concepts relevant to heat management
- Be able to develop their own daily monitoring program with defined triggers and status levels
- Be able to develop their own actions to effectively manage heat and heat load events in feedlot cattle
- Be competent in the use of the Cattle Heat Load Toolbox
- Understand the basic equipment requirements to manage heat effectively
- Understand where to go to for help and further information
Online training course and webinar
8th September: Online Training Videos released via Feedlot TECH
Access to the online training videos will be provided by confirmed registration only and will be accessed via the feedlot industry’s new online training platform, Feedlot TECH. Details on how to access the platform and the training materials will be provided to registered people ahead of the videos being released.
15th September: Live Training Session at 12 noon (AEST) via zoom
The Live training session will be delivered over one live-streamed 45-minute webinar sessions at 12 noon (AEST) on the following date:
- Wednesday, 15 September 2021
If you are unavailable for the live session, a recording will be provided to catch up.
Registration is based on the capacity size of your feedlot. See below for size categories and associated access fee. The flat rate fee provides access for all staff to the training under that business.
ALFA Member Rate (ex gst)
- Under 3,000 head: $150.00
- Between 3,001 – 8,000 head: $250.00
- Between 8,001 – 15,000 head: $350.00
- Above 15,001 head: $500.00
- ALFA Associate Member: $150.00 per person
- ALFA Student Member: $150.00 per person
Non-Member Rate – Price on Application – please enquire at email@example.com
If you need assistance or would like to contact ALFA regarding this training, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9290 3700. Registrations close 1 September, 2021.