- This event has passed.
ALFA Managing Summer Heat Online Training
September 8, 2021
One event on September 15, 2021 at 12:00 pm
This training will be delivered via a mix of online training videos and an online live zoom session in September 2021.
ALFA will release several useful online training videos developed with industry experts and host a live training session with experts and lot feeders sharing their knowledge and real life experiences. The training materials focus on preparing feedlots for excessive summer heat conditions that can have major impacts on cattle health, welfare and productivity. Access to these resources and session will be made available to those registered.
All staff involved in making decisions around, or the monitoring of, heat load at the feedlot will benefit from completing this online training program.
- Dr Tony Batterham, Feedlot Veterinarian at Quirindi Feedlot Services
- Lot Feeder Case Study (yet to be announced)
- Christine Killop, Katestone
- Jeff House, ALFA/MLA Technical Services Officer
- Verity Price, ALFA Policy Manager
Part 1: ONLINE TRAINING VIDEOS – available from 8th September 2021.
Those registered will receive access to eight online training videos (view time 80mins total) that can be viewed at a time convenient to the student, covering the following topics:
- HLI/AHLU demo & how to undertake a Risk Assessment
- Shade Structures
- Pre-Summer Preparation
- Triggers & Actions
- Summer Review
- Weather Stations & CHLT demo
- Feedlot Case Study
Part 2: LIVE TRAINING SESSION WEBINAR – Wednesday 15th September from 12-1pm
- Progress to date, current industry status, ALFA Shade Policy & Hub
- NFAS Requirements and what they mean
- Heatload Simulation Exercise
- Panel Session and Q&A
TAKE HOME RESOURCES
- Daily monitoring spreadsheet tool
- Weather station functionality and sourcing summary
- Weather station checklist
- Panting score monitoring tool – laminated
- MLA Summer heat management handbook
- ALFA Managing Summer Heat Handbook
Registration is based on the capacity size of your feedlot. See below for size categories and associated access fee. The flat rate fee provides access for all staff to the training under that business.
ALFA Member Rate (inc gst)
- Under 3,000 head: $165 per feedlot access
- Between 3,001 – 8,000 head: $275 per feedlot access
- Between 8,001 – 15,000 head: $385 per feedlot access
- Above 15,001 head: $550 per feedlot access
- ALFA Associate Member: $165 per person
- ALFA Student Member: $165 per person
Price on Application – please enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to register
If you need assistance or would like to contact ALFA regarding this training, please email email@example.com or call (02) 9290 3700.
Registrations close 1 September 2021.
This training is proudly sponsored by Phibro Animal Health, an ALFA Platinum Member.