The Certificate III in Rural Operations provides practical training across several fields including agriculture, horticulture, and conservation and land management. It offers training in workplace health and safety (WHS), machinery operation and maintenance, livestock handling, chemicals, fencing, drone operation, tractors and quad bikes.
This nationally recognised program will help you to develop a range of applied skills to prepare for diverse roles within the agricultural sector. You will experience campus life at The University of Queensland’s Gatton Campus with options and pathways to further studies including the Diploma of Agribusiness Management (AHC51416).
Course Outcomes and Units Achieved
The Certificate III in Rural Operations (AHC32816) consists of 16 units of competency, including two core units and fourteen elective units.
- AHCWHS301 Contribute to Work Health and Safety Processes
- AHCWRK309 Apply Environmentally Sustainable Work Practices
- AHCMOM202 Operate Tractors
- AHCMOM216 Operate Side by Side Utility Vehicles
- AHCMOM217 Operate Quad Bikes
- AHCMOM302Perform Machinery Maintenance
- AHCMOM204 Undertake operational maintenance of machinery
- AHCPMG301 Control weeds
- AHCCHM304 Transport and store chemicals
- AHCCHM307 Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases
- AHCLKS205 Handle livestock using basic techniques
- AHCLSK308 Identify and draft livestock
- AHCLSK301 Administer medication to livestock
- AHCLSK331 Comply with industry animal welfare requirements
- AVIY0027 Operate rotary wing remote pilot aircraft systems
- AHCMOM213 Operate and maintain chainsaws
Entry Requirements and Pre-requisites
To undertake this program you must be a domestic student aged 16 years or older with sound literacy and numeracy skills. There are no other pre-requisites required to enroll in this course.
To access UQ Skills’ Blackboard online learning system, it is recommended that you, have access to a reliable internet connection and a computer with current versions of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.
For on campus study you must also bring a long-sleeved shirt, enclosed work boots, a sun safe hat, sunscreen and water bottle.
Delivery Methods and timing
Your course will be delivered over 16 weeks through a combination of online and face-to-face training offered at The University of Queensland’s Gatton Campus. For the practical component of your studies you are required to attend the campus for three days per week.
Your assessment will include a combination of online assessments, practical demonstrations and oral questioning.
This is a Queensland Government funded program and the following co-contribution fees (payable to The University of Queensland) are:
|Government Funding Option||Student Contribution|
|Free TAFE for Year 12 graduates||$0|
|Certificate 3 Guarantee Concessional||$240|
|Certificate 3 Guarantee Non-Concessional||$400|
Please contact UQ Skills for further information on eligibility and funding opportunities.